Spring is our favorite time of year, and we are spring cleaning to get ready for the sunny days ahead! The Laundress has us covered with their cleaning tips for the ultimate spring clean. As the saying goes, spring is the time to throw away the old and bring in the new. And, there is no better time than now to detox our false beliefs about cleaning products. The truth is that those tried “but not” true grocery store products may be causing harm to yourself, your family, and your home. We’ve highlighted how their ingredients stack up against our The Laundress Home Cleaning Collection.
It's Time to Clean Cleaner: flush out the negative, harmful, and toxic substances in our lives to achieve a state of renewal and rejuvenation. With The Laundress plant-derived nontoxic and allergen-free home cleaning collection, you can say goodbye to dirt and toxins and hello to a healthy and clean lifestyle. BONUS: you won't have to worry about accidentally getting one of these chemicals on your clothing and it bleaching out your favorite dress ;)
MIRROR, MIRROR, ON THE WALL
The Laundress Glass & Mirror Cleaner is your go-to for shiny, streak free mirrors. With cleaning enhancers derived from corn, this solution effortlessly removes dirt and grime with zero streaks left behind. We all know how aggravating it is when streaks remain on freshly cleaned surfaces!
That means more primping and mirror time and less fussing with chores. After all, you are the fairest of them all!
Traditional glass cleaners have minimal to no cleaning enhancers and contain derivatives of formaldehyde as a wetting agent (TOXIC). Not only is this harmful to skin and eyes, it’s also hazardous to the environment. Artificial dyes can also leave behind residue and stain fabrics.
TIPS & TRICKS: For residue-free results, wipe the surface clean with a Laundress Lint-Free Cleaning Cloth. Not only does this yield the most substantial results, but it allows you to reduce paper towel waste as this 100% cotton cloth can be washed and used over and over again. It's a twofer!!
A PRETTY POTTY
The toilet. Ugh, we know that cleaning it isn’t the most glamorous of chores, but lucky for us The Laundress is here to help us out! While it may seem like the toilet is the best place to use your most powerful chemical cleaners, it isn't. Traditional toilet bowl cleaners, like chlorine bleach and ammonia, not only produce fumes that leave your head spinning, they are corrosive to eyes and skin, and on top of all that, they contaminate the Earth’s bodies of water. The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative is 100% sodium percarbonate, chlorine-free, and oxygen based, making it family, pet, and food safe.
Just SPRINKLE, SQUIRT, SOAK, and SWIRL. No scrubbing required!
- SPRINKLE one capful of The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative into your dirty toilet bowl.
- Then SQUIRT The Laundress Scented Vinegar into the bowl, making sure to hit the sides and under the rim where stains accumulate.
- Allow this powerful yet natural mixture to SOAK. The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative will disinfect, while the acidic nature of The Laundress Scented Vinegarwill break down any mineral stains.
- No need to scrub! Simply flush the toilet and watch the dirt and stains SWIRL down the drain.
If the problem has more to do with a smelly potty, then pouring 1 cup Scented Vinegar into the bowl. Let sit for at least a half an hour and then flush. Say "bye-bye" to that naughty potty!
MAKE THE CUT
The Laundress Kitchen Soap Bar isn’t just for washing hands…it’s ideal for cleaning and deodorizing food prepping surfaces and cooking tools, too! Chopping onions for stuffing one minute and apples for pie the next? You’ll need this all-in-one soap to make sure cutting boards, chopping blocks, and wooden kitchen tools are ready for everything from appetizers to dessert.
Wash your cutting board with hot water rubbing the Kitchen Soap Bar across the entire surface to remove bacteria, odor and stains. Rinse with hot water to remove excess soap. Air-dry or pat dry with clean cloth. This soap’s natural, antibacterial properties cleans bacteria while eliminating odor. Being a 100% vegetable soap with organic oatmeal, wheat bran, apricot seed, coffee bean, and coconut, the Kitchen Soap Bar is food safe – so start cooking!
FRESH AT FIRST SPRAY
We like to incorporate The Laundress Home Spray into our cleaning routines which is part of the reason our store smells so good. It freshens the room with minimal ingredients (deionized water, alcohol, essential oils, and fragrance). Completely free of phosphates and allergen causing materials, the Home Spray has antibacterial properties and is safe on fabrics. Common air fresheners often contain sodium phosphate which causes skin irritation and negatively impacts surface water (not to mention how awful the scents are).
Where can you spray the Home Spray? EVERYWHERE! We use it on our upholstered seating that are subject to high amounts of wear and tear from clients, kids, pets, and day-to-day living. Start incorporating Home Spray into your cleaning routine because it doesn’t just mask odors; this spray helps to lift, neutralize, and remove the source of the odor instantaneously.
THEY CAN HANDLE IT ALL
Who needs toxic oven cleaners when you have The Laundress? Spray down with our Surface Cleaner, let set and then remove any stubborn baked-on food stains with our Scrub Brush. For super baked grease and messes, add All-Purpose Bleach Alternative and soak in hot water – it will fall right off - save your elbows and skip the grease.
Traditional oven cleaner contains sodium hydroxide and ethanol both of which are immediate hazards upon contact and are deemed hazardous substances in numerous states. These harsh ingredients can damage aluminum and painted surfaces as well.
The Laundress Surface Cleaner can handle it all! It works on everything from appliances, sinks, countertops, stovetops, walls, tile and woodwork to granite, stone, finished wood, marble and steel. Scented in our Home Scent No247 – an invigorating blend of bergamot, thyme, lavender, musk and ylang ylang – it cleans and refreshes with a perfectly crisp clean home smell, any day of the year.
Just like the Surface Cleaner is to surfaces, the Cleaning Concentrate is to floors. The Laundress All-Purpose Cleaning Concentrate is composed of plant-derived anionic and nonionic surfactants for optimal cleaning performance. From porcelain to granite, this highly concentrated cleaning formula is safe and effective on every surface—even finished wood! Mop all the floors in your home, clean the entire bathroom, and more. Toxin-free and packed with active ingredients, a little goes a long way!
PRODUCT OF PERFECTION
The Laundress Product of Perfection has to be Scented Vinegar, a 100% natural, corn-derived vinegar that is formulated with our exclusive sweet smelling No.247 scent. It’s got all the incredible cleaning properties of white vinegar without the off-putting scent, making it the perfect choice for cleaning and laundry needs.
Some use it strictly for laundry while others consider it a natural alternative to chemical-laden home cleaning products. But this multi-purpose product is appropriate for both! From removing odor from clothing to cleaning the refrigerator, here are our top 10 ways to incorporate our Scented Vinegar in your cleaning routine:
- Wash Obstinate Odors from Fine Fabrics: Erase persistent odors by using white vinegar for cleaning your fabrics. First pretreat affected items by soaking them in a wash basin or sink filled with 1 capful Scented Vinegar and tepid water (water temperature differs depending on fabric type) or apply directly to the underarm or odor area before washing. Soak cottons and durable synthetics for at least 1 hour and silks and woolens for no longer than 30 minutes. Then run a wash cycle adding 1 cup of our Scented Vinegar only. Follow with a regular wash cycle and the appropriate detergent.
- Break the Mold…and Kill the Bacteria: Remove and inhibit bacteria, mold, and yeast growth on cutting boards by applying The Laundress Scented Vinegar after each use. Do not rinse. Simply spray kitchen counter tops and wipe down with hot water and a clean cloth. This kills bacteria and keeps ants and bugs away.
- Get High Visibility Blinds and Walls that Wow: Wipe down dirt on walls and blinds with equal parts The Laundress Scented Vinegar and water. Use a clean sponge or The Laundress Lint-Free Cleaning Clothfor best results.
- Simmer Away Smells: Get rid of cooking smells by placing a small pot of ½ cup Scented Vinegar and water on your stovetop on low heat. You can keep a small bowl of it on the counter to absorb odor as well.
- Keep Your Fridge Fresh: Eliminate odors by placing 1 cup Scented Vinegar in a glass in the refrigerator for two days. Keep refreshing the vinegar if the problem persists.
- Help Your Dishwasher Hit the Spots: Make spotty glassware gleam by adding ½ cup of our Scented Vinegar to the rinse aid dispenser. Alternatively, add 1 full cup to your dish detergent and run a regular cycle.
- Send Nasty Clogs Down the Drain: Clear and deodorize your drains by mixing 1/4 cup of The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative with 1 boiling cup Scented Vinegar. Pour down the drain and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then run hot water down. *Note: This is also great in half proportions for the garbage disposal.
- Get a Greener Clean in the Bathroom: Apply The Laundress Scented Vinegar directly to the areas with a cloth or sponge. We recommend mixing with All-Purpose Bleach Alternative to scrub clean tubs, tiles, toilets, and stained porcelain. *Note: Use The Laundress Scrub Brush, of course!
- Give Your Toilet the Full Flush: Clean and deodorize toilets by pouring 1 cup of The Laundress Scented Vinegar into the bowl. Let sit for at least a half an hour and then flush.
- Wipe Pergo Floors Clean: Pergo floors are best cleaned with vinegar versus any other product, including floor cleaners, all-purpose cleaners, and wax, as they can all leave a film. Mix ¼ cup of The Laundress Scented Vinegar with 1 gallon of water and mop to a high shine.
WE LOVE CLOTHES
You might be wondering why we are so insistent on how to store and care for the clothes you buy from LIBERTÉ. The answer is simple: WE LOVE CLOTHES! Like a lot. We want you to think of your clothing as an investment so you can keep them for many, many years.
The worst feeling is when you are frustrated with your clothing no longer looking new due to inferior cleaning products or a dry cleaner who uses harsh of toxic chemicals. Gwen Whiting and Lindsey Boyd, of The Laundress, felt the same way so they developed an entire line of eco-friendly and highly efficacious laundry, fabric care, and home cleaning formulas that are tough on dirt yet safe on the things you love.
Most people send items to be dry cleaned because they are wrinkled or because they no longer smell fresh. If the item isn’t actually dirty, you don’t need to take it to the dry cleaners. Instead, save money and reduce wear on the item by freshening between cleanings, we recommend steaming. Not only will steam cleaning release wrinkles, but hot steam also kills bacteria (thereby eliminating odors). Steaming works great for “Dry Clean Only” items as well as items that are not readily washable, such as upholstery, etc. You can also use one of our fabric sprays between trips to the cleaners to freshen garments. These versatile formulas have antibacterial properties that add scent while removing odor. If there are stains that need to be treated, you can try removing them by spot treating the garment.
The photos and data in this blog were obtained from The Laundress (and then verified by my hubby "The LIBERTÉ In-House Chemist"). All products can be found in-store at LIBERTÉ or at www.thelaundress.com